Thursday, March 1, 2012

Day 5 - Magic Notebook

Create a special notebook or journal section for recording your favorite foods.  When a food thought crosses your mind, remind  yourself that you don't have to act on it...instead write down a name or description of the food and then anticipated the pleasure of eating it sometime in the future.

In Weight Watchers we are encouraged to keep a food tracker.  Tracking your food helps you see what you have eaten that day and subtract the appropriate amount of points.  This will help you as you try to determine what you are going to eat for the rest of the day.  For me, it seems that I have blasted through my points by mid afternoon and I'm wondering even if I can "afford" to eat that evening.  Once I determine that I can't...I sit down and eat 2 plates of nachos.  Heck - I've already messed this one up. 

Now, what if I did this magic notebook or utilized a section of my food tracker to make a note of something that I really wanted to eat.  Something that I plan to eat - later.  I'm going to have to give this a try.   In the book, Jennifer got a craving for a specific food...so she wrote in her notebook.  She said, "by writing it down, I take it out of my head.  I tell myself I don't have to think about it anymore because it's recorded and I can always return to it later." 

I can't wrap my mind around this idea very well.  It makes sense on paper...but will it make sense in my mind?  If I am hung-up on the idea of eating ice cream...if I write down that I want to eat it, can I really, at that point, drop it and let it go?  I am going to HAVE to give this a try.

1.  Write down a couple of your favorite foods.
-French Fries
-Bacon
-Peanut Butter
-Pasta
-Toast with WAY too much butter
-Andy's Frozen Custard!!

2.  Plan that you'll eat the food at another time.
For the most part, I need to find healthier alternatives or substitutions.  The green smoothies have worked wonders.  After 4 days of green smoothies, I woke up this morning anxious to have one...and it literally replaced my morning caffeine -- NO headaches!  I also need to do better at stocking up on go-to foods for when I'm on the go and starving.  I make this mistake over and over again.  But, if there is something that I really want, I'm going to try writing it down and then letting it go for a while.  Do you think it will work?  I hope so!


3.  Stretch the times farther apart for eating this food.  You may discover that after a while, certain foods don't seem as important to you as they once did.


In other news:
I headed back to Weight Watchers today after 2 weeks out and off the program.  (And I mean "off" in my Hummer - totally "off roadin'").  I was relieved to discover that, while I gained, I only gained .2 pounds.  Not bad over all.  I now weigh 184.4. 

No comments:

Post a Comment